If I Were in Charge of the Columbus Blue Jackets: My Captain and Alternates...(8/8/26)

 A disclaimer before we begin. I study this team and keep up with press releases. I am not on the inside. I am just a thoughtful fan who is often optimistically realistic. Also, anything I say about players in this post is strictly business. I shouldn't have to say this, but my loyal readers know how much I care about every player on this team. If you're new here, now you know. You don't have to agree with me, but if I were in charge of the Columbus Blue Jackets, this is what I'd do regarding our outstanding decisions. 

Captain

This is a big debate amongst fans. Honestly, around the March trade deadline, I was wondering if Boone Jenner would be dealt. He wasn't and finished out what would ultimately be his final season as the leader of our Blue Jackets. I wish him nothing but the best in Washington, and am very eager to see how he fits in. That said, it was clear a new leader would be named for the 2026-27 season. My mind was set on who would take that 'C': Zach Werenski. But then the summer came, and things got weird, fast. Not long after winning his first Norris Trophy, the first in Blue Jackets Franchise History, rumors began swirling that he planned not to re-sign here after his current contract ended. If you want to induce panic in a fan base, have your best defenseman, and likely future Captain, say that. Some time later, the Blue Jackets and Zach Werenski released statements apologizing for the panic. Now, I'm going to be honest, as someone who loves Zach and has a lot of #8 gear, my mind isn't as set anymore. Do I think he'll still be Captain? Yes. Do I think he's a shoo-in like in April? No. I'll absolutely support Zach if the team goes the expected direction, but I can't help but think the team may consider other options after this drama. What would I do? 

Charlie Coyle:

Charlie never missed a game last season, his first in Columbus. He had 20 goals and 38 assists for 58 points. He's played in this league for 16 seasons, the 2026-27 season being his 17th. Last season was his first not in the playoffs. If you want a leader who will kick this team in the backside, this is your man. He's great on the ice. He has an incredible media personality. He knows what it takes to win and get into the playoffs, something this team, its coaches, and fans are sick of missing out on. It works. And if Zach decides to stay and sign a new contract, he could become Captain. He'll still be young enough. 

Alternate Captains: Zach Werenski.

Obviously, if Charlie became Captain, Zach would likely maintain his 'A'. I would keep it with him if I were in charge. He's a great leader as a whole, and a great example for young defenseman coming up through the pipeline. 

Alternate Captain: Kirill Marchenko.

Around the same time rumors began about Zach Werenski not wanting to re-sign, the same was said by Kirill Marchenko's representation that he didn't want to stay, either. From a business perspective, I don't want a player here who doesn't want to be. For how much I love Marchy, that scenario never works out for the player or team involved. That said, I believe there is a way to (potentially) make him change his mind. Make him an Alternate Captain. Last season, with his 27-40-67, he's earned an 'A'. Also, if he doesn't want to stay with this team as it is, then help shape it into a winning team you want to extend with. In my mind, it is that simple. Also, should he decide to not extend, but has another great season, his wearing that 'A' could boost his trade value.  

Alternate Captain: Adam Fantilli.

An NHL team can have 3 Alternate Captains. Adam Fantilli wants a big contract because that's what everyone is hyping up around the league: Who has the biggest payday this week?!? The rumor floating around is that he's wanting $13-14 million. On the high end, it's basically all the cap space we have left. I think this proposal would make him happy, give him notoriety in the league, and give him room to grow when his next contract comes due.  

I was a champion for Adam from the get-go. I saw him play in college for the University of Michigan, and while I respect Connor Bedard, I wanted Adam Fantilli. I do still believe he is NHL Captain material in the future, but right now, he's still young and has a lot of growth potential, especially if we surround him with good leadership. In two of his three seasons in the NHL, he's completed the full 82-game regular season. His first season was sadly cut short at 49 games after an accidental cut to his calf went way deeper than fans thought while watching the game. This past season, Adam put up a 24-35-59 at just 21 years old. Some say he isn't living up to expectations. To those fans, I'll point out that he had 2 more points this past season than the man I said I'd make Captain and is 34 years old with 16 seasons under his belt. Do I want to see more out of him this upcoming season? Always. Do I think he's not living up to his potential? No. 

I'd offer him $9 million over 4 years and an 'A'. He will get a significant pay increase and bragging rights for that 'A'. He can be the fourth in command, but I want him learning what it takes to be a leader while we have Charlie Coyle, Zach Werenski, and others here. And, before you come after me, consider this: Patrik Laine was given $8.7 million over 4 years in July 2022 after 55 games and having a point breakdown of 22-30-52 with six seasons of experience. Further, if we could get Adam Fantilli at $9 or even 10 million, it gives us room to negotiate with him in the future and an easier contract to move if that situation arose. Again, same with Kirill, an 'A' will add value on the trade market. Not to mention it gives us a few million in cap space should we need it during the season. With Adam having had injuries, I think he's wise enough to understand how valuable that cushion can be if a player is injured. 

Conclusion:

So, there you have it. In my mind, Charlie Coyle is the Columbus Blue Jackets' new Captain, while Zach Werenski, Kirill Marchenko, and Adam Fantilli become our 2026-27 Alternate Captains. As I said, everything in this post is based on business alone, and every decision I've outlined can better this team and future player deals if we have to make them. In a perfect world, Kirill wouldn't question wanting to stay in Columbus, and Adam would already be signed to a new contract. This league isn't a perfect world, though. Personally, I don't know or care if I'm right; I care that this team puts forth its best effort this season and accomplishes something we haven't in years: post-season play. If we can do that, I'll be a happy blogger. 

Go CBJ!            


Comments