This Is What I Think Elvis Merzlikins New Blue Pads Represent

This is a completely theory based post, so please keep that in mind.  This is not fact, but instead just my thoughts on Elvis Merzlikins newest uniform change: the blue pads.   

We've all heard the jokes from Elvis Merzlikins about his brand new, sky blue game pads.  As my best friend and fellow Blue Jackets fan told me, Elvis said "Some do and some don't but I don't listen to them.  I like them and that is what matters."  He has a point, but why switch the pads?  I have two theories on just that which I want to share with you now.  

The more personal theory I have is centered around his son and the late, great, Matiss Kivlenieks.  Elvis always refers to Kivlenieks or "Kivi" as his little brother.  Due to his actions which sadly took his life but saved Elvis's wife, unborn son and himself (among others) his son's middle name is Matiss.  In my mind the blue pads could be a nod to Knox, his son, or his name sake Matiss Kivlenieks for this reason. 

My other theory would be incredibly smart, from a goaltenders perspective, and one some fans may not see at first glance.  A hockey puck is black, and his former pads were also quite dark in color.  A puck can easily get lost when the two are beside one another.  If you change the pads to a lighter color, say sky blue, the puck will stick out more and be easier to see.  Interesting, right?  If it's easier for him to see against the pads, it's easier for him to keep out of his net.  

Regardless of Elvis Merzlikins reasoning, be it one of the above, both or neither, they are still cool to look at.  Even better, they currently have a notable spot in the win column, at home, being 1-0-0.  To me, whether the team likes them or not, there is no denying their power now.  

Go blue pads!             

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One