Flames Recap On 1-26-22 And A Renewed Perspective

 Alright, I'm going to make this painful game simple, so we can focus on my thoughts afterward.  

Period 1

Goal 1< Backlund at 4:21

Period 2

Goal 2< Mangiapane 15:14

Goal 3< Tkachuk 19:54

Period 3

Goal 4< Gaudreau 0:30

Goal 5< Gudbranson 6:55

Goal 6<  Thachuk  7:36

The final was a shutout in Nationwide Arena, for the Flames, 6-0.  

Sadly a record was set tonight for the most attempts on a goal for Blue Jackets hockey.  Statistic sourced from Jeff Svoboda:

"Calgary's 62 shots on goal are a #CBJ record for an opponent in a regular-season game. Previous high was 55 by Florida in 2014. Previous high allowed in Nationwide was 50 by San Jose in 2004.  

Both of those were overtime games."

Okay, I know the first thing everyone is thinking, because my best friend asked me this question.  Why was Merzlikins left in net after a third goal in Period 3?  In my mind this is simple, the Rangers will play us in Nationwide Arena tomorrow night.  They're actually already here.  There is no reason to risk Korpisalo's health, or energy, in a game so far gone.  This is just how I feel but it does make good sense.  Also, if I may point out a quote from Jean-Luc-Grand-Pierre: "I'm just happy he wasn't hurt, because that is extremely taxing on a goaltender"  This is regarding Merzlikins, who was on from start to finish.  In my mind, fans shouldn't be too judgmental, unless you've actually played hockey before.  So, if you haven't, don't blame the goaltender, simply keep in mind our defense is young, and how true this statement is.  

An upside, the powerplay kill looked good tonight, actually.  However, the offense needs to stop looking for that perfect shot, and just shoot the puck.  I know many commentators are saying this, I just simply agree.  However, again, I think this is just a strength in team situation.  The Flames have rebuilt, and this could be us in the next few years, if we keep a cohesive team which works together.  I'm going to analogy again, it's just the author in me.  If you have a dog sled team, and you want to win a competent, you keep and work with that team.  You don't swap out pups (i.e. trade players).  You keep what you have, and work with them.  Improvement will come.  The proof is in teams like the Red Wings, Panthers, and Flames.  Or, if you'd like to go the football rout, consider the Browns especially.  Build the team and the wins will come; it just takes time.  Also, as a comparison, the Flames were 20-12-6, while we are 18-21-1.  

Also, very unfortunate, Alexander Texier was injured.  He never returned to the game post Period 1.  When I see more I'll be sure to pass it on.  I wish him the very best.  

The Rangers come tomorrow night.  Again, Nationwide Arena at 7:00 PM.  The rangers are currently doing well, but in my mind it's a new game on a new night, anything could happen.  Plus, it's time for a little payback for the MSG loss earlier this season!  

Go CBJ!    






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One