5-1 Loss To Penguins Leads Me To Write A Serious Article With An Upbeat End, Because We Need That 5th Line

Okay, I know I can hear it now, "we told you it would be bad".  Well, I don't have a crystal ball and believe in this team, so that's my answer to those thinking such, right now.  To be fair, Period 1 was great.  No goals were aloud by Korpisalo, while the Blue Jackets scored a goal of their own.  This one came at 8:37 from Nyquist.  Assists went to Werenski and Voracek.  

Period 2...well it wasn't great.  2:40 Penguins goal by Zohorn.  3:16 Penguins goal by Guentzel.  7:28 Penguins goal at 7:29 by Rust.  14:06 Penguins goal by Crosby.  Incase you lost count, that's 4 Penguins goals in 1 period.  Now, Korpisalo had some really good saves this period, even with all these goals.  However, the full team didn't do well in this period, as a unit, I'm sorry to say.  I feel I have to point this out, that this is a team, as several people seem to be harping on whichever goaltender is in net at a loss.  However, if they win he's good, great and the savior of this team.  In my mind, a fan rides with their team, win or lose.  If players don't get respect when they're in a slump, they will leave, play elsewhere and when they come out of that slump we'll lose to them.  I'm not saying everyone is like this, it's just a fair few.  I'm just saying some need to think before they write.  Everyone has social media, especially professional  hockey players and their family members.  I believe some "fans" need that reality check.  It's getting very bad regarding Korpisalo and I just don't appreciate it.  I've seen it with other players too, but this time it's getting bad enough I find it necessary to mention such in a post.  It's sad.  Now, I understand this is a business.  We're not making s'mores over a camp fire.  I just implore you to this about this:  If you were a player, risking your body and future for an NHL team, would the comment you're about to make question your desire to play for said team?  Further, other teams might be annoying, but they trash the opponent, not their own team's players.  This city wants a Stanley Cup, players have to want to come, play and stay here.  For those who disagree, believing these players should have a "thicker skin".  We're all only human, and those with even the thickest skin have moments of weakness and doubt.  Comments, don't make those better.  Think about it.  

Anyway, that's my serious moment.  I don't do many of them but just had to tonight.  Back to the game.  Period 2 would end with that 4-1 Penguins lead.  At 8:54 the Penguins would score again, this time by way of Malkin.  So, 5-1 Blue Jackets.  In my mind I'd have given Berube a chance at goal when Period 3 started.  This is just my perspective.  The team did try to get it together, they really did in this last 20 minutes.  With that being said, Korpisalo doing all he had to in the first 40 to give them a chance, likely he was already exhausted by this point.  Yet, he continued to push, as the rest of his team did to.  Again, this isn't a bad team, they just need time.  Sadly, I don't see Korpisalo being part of that team once that practice happens.  It's a rough situation to be in.  The final score would ultimately be 5-1 Penguins win.  

Since I've been realistic above, to an extent I'm normally not, I'll leave you all with this.  18 games remain.  I want to see this team do their very best for those 18 games.  The cards will fall where they may, however this team has done so much this season, I don't know how a true 5th Line fan couldn't be proud.  They've exceeded my expectations this season, by far, for a young team with a new Head Coach.  I'm proud of this team and that's why my optimism will continue.  I don't care who laughs at me or disagrees with me, this is my team.  My 21 year old jersey still fits, and I'll always wear it with the pride and respect it deserves.  

Next game is against the Jets!  Yep, we're going back to Canada eh!  For that reason, take  note that the puck drop time is 8:00 PM EST on Friday.  This means pregame on Bally Sports will be at 7:30 PM EST.  If you're nervous after tonight, make yourself that fries, gravy and cheese curd dish called poutine.  Carbs, they're a beautiful thing.  Personally, I'm going to find my Oreo stash tonight.  Hopefully that made you all smile after tonight's loss.  Hey, it wasn't a shutout, right?  Thanks Nyquist!  

Go CBJ!           




            


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One