Korpisalo Is STAYING In Columbus- Contract Extended- 5/20/22

Let me start out by saying that I understand this happened a couple hours ago, to be honest my sleep schedule is still messed up from the Stanley Cup 2022 Round 1.  I'll also be honest with you again, I had a nightmare a month ago that we released this player.  I'm happy to say that hasn't happened.  I always had great respect for this organization and franchise, however this has increased such greatly.  This 2021-22 NHL season we learned that Joonas Korpisalo had battled through a hip issue all season.  It explained his time off the ice, which he made clear he hated.  What he also made clear was his love for Columbus and playing for this team.  It will be great to see him return in the 2022-23 NHL Season as we learn a deal has been reached for him to do so today.  

To those who disagree with this decision, consider a couple things for me.  First, with Covid-19 Illnesses and injuries this season, may times we needed our seconded, third and even fourth string goaltenders.  For how many years Korpisalo has been with this organization, it would also reflect incredibly bad on them to discard him after such injury occurred while playing for us.  Not only does this make us look good as an organization, but it also keeps around a great backup, should he be needed, next season.  

In regard to his signing, Korpisalo had this to say in part, visa Jeff Svoboda @JacketsInsider.  "Korpisalo: “I don’t think I’ve felt this much hunger to show people that I belong back there among the top guys in the league for a while. Last two years being whatever, the hunger and the motivation to show up and get back to my level, it’s huge.“ #CBJ   

So, there you go folks, he's already ready to go, even with more rehab and a summer off before him.  I've said it before, he loves Columbus and playing here for us.  Beyond that he's shown every season that he's mindful of his gameplay and critical of such when it doesn't result in a win, wanting to improve himself and this team in every way he can.  I for one can't wait to wear my sale, reverse-retro shirt I found at Blueline next season, knowing that he'll still be here when I do!  

Welcome back, Korpisalo.  

Source:

Jeff Svoboda Tweets from 5/20/22

1)  "🚨 #CBJ news: The Blue Jackets have signed goaltender Joonas Korpisalo to a one-year contract extension for the 2022-23 season."

2) "Korpisalo: “I don’t think I’ve felt this much hunger to show people that I belong back there among the top guys in the league for a while. Last two years being whatever, the hunger and the motivation to show up and get back to my level, it’s huge.“ #CBJ"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One