RFA Updates, The Blue Jackets Who Got An Offer, And Who Did Not- 7/11/22

Out of 6 Restricted Free Agents on the Columbus Blue Jackets/Monsters teams, 4 have been given unknown offers to stay.  The first I'll mention is one I've been  questioned about since the 2021-22 NHL Season ended, yes, Patrik Laine is one of those 4 names!  The 6'5, 216 Lb. Left Wing has been offered to stay, but of course he would, given his 26 goals, 30 assists for 56 total points in just 58 games played.  When I see final details about him being signed and contract details, I'll let you now 5th Laine!  (Hope you like the hockey pun!  Next player!)

As I said we have 4 names, but Laine is the hot ask, so I went out of order on my source and started with him.  Next player on the list having been offered a deal is Emil Bemstrom.  In 41 games he had 6 goals and 5 assists for 11 total points last season.  He did very well in Worlds however, which gives me a lot of belief in his skill for the 2022-23 NHL Season.  Also, to turn away a 23-year-old Center with experience wouldn't be wise, especially one with 6'0 and 193 Lb.  No way.  Good to see him get an offer.  

The next name, Trey Fix-Wolansky.  The Right Winger was brought up to play in his first NHL games last season and impressed me for sure.  He's also only 23-years- old and 5'7, wat 186 Lb.  In his only 6 games in Columbus, he had a goal and an assist for 2 points.  Yes, I'd keep a Left Wing who scored 1/3 of his time on the NHL ice!  

The last name on the list who's been extended an offer makes me very happy, because I've been waiting for this signing personally.  Nick Blankenburg!  The 5'9, 175 Lb. Defenseman was a great bonus from Michigan University at the end of last season.  The former College Captain played in 9 games and had 1 goal and 2 assists for 3 total points.  Again, another player who had a great ratio of points to games played, and this is even after being out injured for the last few games.  I've wanted to see Blankenburg play and now I might actually get to, very happy!  

Now to the more difficult part, we do have 2 players who weren't given offers.  The most notable name in this list will be Gabriel Carlsson.  The 25-year-old, 6'5 and 195 Lb. Defenseman was not given an offer to stay.  In 38 games he had 2 goals and 7 assists, for a point total of 9.  It isn't a bad total, I just feel some names shown a bit brighter this season.  Between this and the men we drafted, who are already showing promise in Development Camp Day 1, I understand this move.  Still, I wish him the very best and am very sure he won't be on the RFA market long.  

The other name is Kevin Stenlund.  The 6'5, 211 Lb. Center who is just 25-years-old is another player I don't see being on the RFA market long.  He appeared in 3 games but had no points in them. With his height, weight, position and age, if he can connect with the right team I could see him doing well.  What team?  In my mind right now I'm thinking Montreal Canadians maybe.  However, they did get many great players in the 2022 Draft, but Stenlund would come with a bonus.  He didn't have many games and had no points last season, but he has played in the NHL.  Not a bad advantage to have as an RFA, that's for sure.  

With this news the picture of who could be on the 2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets roster is becoming all the more clear.  It's nearly the middle of July and everything CBJ is picking up traction.  The excitement is electric.  Development Camp is already looking incredible, we have contracts in play, a season schedule, it's all bright lights from here 5th Line!  This season is going to be great, I can feel the chills as I type what I know will be a fact!  

Go CBJ!  

Source:  

Blue Jackets Staff "Blue Jackets Extend Qualifying Offers To 4 Players".  July 11, 2022. https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news/cbj-extend-qualifying-offers-to-four-players/c-334912816   




   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One