The Humble And "Excited" Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau- First Interview Recap- July 14, 2022

"It's a lot of fun to play here" and "young group."  Two reasons right of the bat when asked why he came here by Jared Smalley of NBC 4.  

"Potential" and "excited".  Good words from a great player.  After the news conference today, I've gone from stunned and confused...to just stunned.   Also, re-watching this video, it's actually having problems loading because this is so popular.  

For those wondering how Johnny got 13 from Kent Johnson.  "I don't need 13, he can have 13.  I feel bad, I don't want to take his number, I'll have a fresh new start" Saying that "dinners" will happen in return for Johnson's kindness.  We also know now that Johnson idolizes Johnny, so it's cool to see what the two will gain from this.  Johnny isn't too old to learn, and Kent is a young player who I'm sure can't wait to learn from the man he picked his NHL number for.  What amazing luck for Johnson though.  

Okay, last night I was stunned and a bit skeptical.  Now, I'm liking "Johnny Hockey"/  We'll see what he can do by he's humble for how good he is, that impresses me as much as his numbers.  There is no "I" in "team", which I'm a firm believer in.  Johnny could be all about himself, but he isn't.  This takes care of my unease about the locker room dynamic, no lie.  

Columbus was "the right move for us".  He's a big fan of being here and setting roots.  This is obvious with his 7-year-deal, but even more so given he's unmovable for the first 4-years of said deal.  I've lived here my whole life, so I can't really debate otherwise, however I do like it here!  So, to hear this and that our town has been "circled" for him a long time, it's another good sign for Johnny coming here.  

Another cool thing, he's not super into the locker room renovations.  He's here for "winning hockey", which is fun to hear.  It isn't flash that brought him here, it's desire to play in Columbus.  

Within that locker room, I had no idea how many players he already knows on this team.  So again, I'll admit my concern regarding how he fist, was a bit unfound.  Again, I don't really look beyond our Blue Jackets team.  I somewhat knew the name, but now I know I'll get to know it along with all about him, far better.  

"Playoffs is our expectation every year" is what Head Coach Brad Larson said, "he (Johnny) first right into that."  Now hearing from Johnny, hearing his intentions and plan of being here,   I want to eat my words of concern yesterday more than ever.  Again, remember that change is coming beyond this, prepare to lose someone we all know and love.  However...

I'll leave it at that because this is a "to be continued" situation for sure.  Many say this is the start of a "new chapter" for the Blue Jackets.  If this man lives up to the hype, along with that which this 2021-22 NHL team left on the ice at the conclusion of last season, maybe this isn't the start of a new chapter...maybe it's the start of a sequel book?  I hope so.  

With that 5th Line, I'm going to go eat breakfast at 2:00 PM.  Yes, it's been a busy morning between checking the salary cap, CBJIn30 special edition and now Johnny's first news conference.  It's exciting and maybe by my next post I'll be able to wrap my mind around what has happened for this franchise.  

Go CBJ!  

Source:  

Columbus Blue Jackets July 14, 2022.  "Johnny Gaudreau Introductory Press Conference".  YouTube.  Link<https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=tjVZM9f_mN8&fbclid=IwAR3eljvO6B9vh_QSrE3mG0aU0BOyxeTi9GiguEaB092kyKQ82goRmVysOlk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One