Will He Stay, Or Will He Go? My Theory On Patrik Laine (7/7/22)

Disclosure:  

I have a Laine shirt I bought.  I like Laine and this is all a theory.  I'm being honest, when our 2021-22 NHL Season ended and Laine wasn't signed within the next week, I started to get uneasy.  Now my gut is screaming at me to write something, especially after coming up with an interesting theory.  It is Draft Day 2022 and Jarmo Kekalainen has done some interesting moves throughout the years.  I'd rather voice my theory now, than wish I had later if something similar comes to fruition.  Again, I do like Laine and I think he is an amazing player.  However, the NHL as I'm constantly reminded is a business.  This post below is based on only that fact, not my thoughts and feelings on this player, believe me.  

My Patrick Laine Theory

Again, I'm stunned like many of you that a deal with Laine hasn't been done yet.  I can say this about Blankenburg too, but Laine really sticks with me.  It has for the last couple months and now that it's Draft Day 2022, I'm really bugged by it.  I understand my theory is a bit out there, but please stick with me till the end.  

The Colorado Avalanche won the Stanley Cup 2022.  This means they have a winning team, obviously.  What would make a winning team even more so?  Patrik Laine.  What do they have that we want?  Defenders who have won a Stanley Cup.  Who would I pull out in particular?  Former Columbus Blue Jackets, Jack Johnson.  Why?  He is an older Defenseman who can still play very well.  I'd love to see him and Werenski teach our younger D-Line.  The idea just of them playing together also fascinates me.  Many fans say that they want to see results with the Defense now, not later.  For that to happen we need an experienced Defender and that won't come without a price tag, so why not get one of the best who was in Columbus a long time, from the cream of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs crop?  

Now, thinking of the most important person in this mix, our player Patrik Laine, he would get some benefit from this.  For one I know he said that he loves Columbus, but has anyone heard him say anything to anyone since the post-season media day?  I haven't.  Any player can learn to love a city, especially if they could win a cup.  Sorry, it's just true.  Colorado has the team and there is no doubt in my mind they'll likely crack the Conference Championship in 2023.  Most important, if Laine went to the Colorado Avalanche he'd still play in Finland, his home country, this November.  

Now, I'm sure those of you who stuck with me this far are wondering how the hockey stick I came up with this?  The fact Laine would play in Finland still was the final piece.  The fact we could use another leader in the Defender area is another.  The biggest thing that has me wondering however is what Jarmo Kekalainen did last year the day after the 2021 NHL Draft.   Again, this is all my theory and mine alone, nothing has hinted toward this in anything Kekalainen has said.  I cannot make this any more clear.  Consider this though, did anyone see the 200+ goal scoring Cam Atkinson trade coming last season?  No way.  Did we trade an experienced player for another experienced player?   Last, was the player we got back in return a former Blue Jacket?  I rest my theory.  

Again, I don't want this to happen.  Again, this is my theory alone.  Again, Jarmo Kekalainen has said nothing about trading Patrik Lain.  However, this contract is dragging out far beyond many fans comfort level, mine included for sure.  Laine is a great player who deserves not only the money he is worth, but also a cup.  I want to see him stay here and win Columbus's first Cup.  I'm just getting really uneasy as they days drag on, without a Laine extension.  I'll say it one last time though, just to be clear.  I want to be wrong.       



  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One