2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL Season Kickoff Preview!

It's finally here, well almost...roughly 25.5 hours (by the time I post this) stands between us and the 2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets Season.  Their first game will be at 7:00 PM, tomorrow evening (Wednesday October 12) in North Carolina against the Hurricanes.  We know as of yesterday the 23 lucky players who will travel to game 1 this season, and it is a heavy hitting list.  I for one don't know how Head Coach Brad Larson will mix up these players, but what I do know is what I've seen and that in my point of view, this right here is something special 5th Line.  

As many of you know, I've followed the team since I was six years old, and they were established.  Sometimes I even wear my XXL Juniors jersey from 2000 to games still because it's awesome!  (Thanks mom.)  Further, I started writing in May of 2022, right as the NHL emerged, trying to smooth a way through the global pandemic, so a playoff could take place.  I was with Skullking sports at the time and although I've witnessed some incredible players leave Columbus, some by their choice but many not wanting to leave, I've also witnessed some stunning gains in that time.  Patrik Laine had to be one of the biggest names we acquired in a trade with the Jets.  Jakub Voracek, who we gained by parting ways with Cam Atkinson, bringing a former Blue Jacket back was huge.  However, this offseason we really rocked the NHL Boat, as a top free agent landed here BY CHOICE, Mr. Johnny Hockey himself, Johnny Gaudreau.  Now, I'll admit two things, first I mainly focus on the Blue Jackets and even though he was a huge name, I had no idea who he really was.  Yes, I watched the playoffs, but when you're tracking former Blue Jackets only, you tend to block out all other names!  Also, I'm sorry to say, but I couldn't figure out why we got him?  I questioned it because I knew with his deal and others made before, to sign Patrik Laine back again, we'd have to lose someone big.  We did just that.  The same day we signed Laine back, Oliver Bjorkstrand was sent to the Seattle Kraken.  Did the transitions this off season make it way more eventful?  Yes.  (It's as simple as a one-word answer, believe me folks, I liked "Bjorky", but this team...somethings brewing and it's sweeter than Brewdog Cannon Blast.  

Okay, now that I've done my job to hype you all up, let's get down to lines.  Again, we have 23 guys, but not everyone will have a place in the starting lineup.  Here are my lines, which if you don't love, I'll explain after the list!  

Offense: 

Line 1:

Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine

Line 2:

Chinakhov-Roslovic-Voracek

Line 3:

Nyquist-Sillinger-Danforth

Line 4:

Johnson-Kuraly-Olivier

Defense:

Line 1:

Werenski-Gudbranson 

Line 2:

Peeke-Gavrikhov

Line 3:

Boqvist-Blankenburg

Goalie:

Merzlikins

Backup: Tarasov

Extras Dressed

Forwards:  

Robinson and Foudy

Defense:  

Bean

Okay, my reasoning behind line 1 is likely obvious. However, I know I have some new readers (welcome) so I will explain.  Gaudreau came here for a few reasons:  he wanted to, we wanted him to, and to play with Patrik Laine.  The two are as good together as many hoped (maybe better) so, them not playing together seems like a disservice to not just the Blue Jackets, but the NHL in general.  (Yes, people beyond the 5th Line also can't wait to see these two team up.  Jenner is a natural fit between them.  First, he's a talented Centerman and second, he is the Captain.  You want the first line to be your best, hence them being the first line.  To me at this point, unless something changes, this is the best line.  However, Line 2 is pretty great too.

Line 2 has Chinakhov, who scored the most goals this preseason with 6.  He also had a 7-point streak in 6 preseason games.  If there was a surprise player of this preseason, I'd give that title to him without pause.  The improvement is staggering, something I at least didn't expect on such a high level.  Further, Voracek and Roslovic play well together, and with Chinakhov in that line, enough said, I think. 

Line 3 is a bit tricky; I have Nyquist in this line, but we'll have to see if he plays tomorrow evening.  He's had a minor injury and didn't play the final preseason game in D.C. If he does, I want to see him play with Sillinger and Danforth, who are just heavy hitters in scoring.  Nyquist can score, but he's also great at feeding the puck to others so they can.  It's obvious why he wears an "A", and I'd love to see this line work off each other.  

Line 4 is far from basic, honest these lines could go anyway, so you don't have to agree with me.  Some players make sense together, but I think you could mix and math a lot this year and play a good game, which is amazing for us.  Johnson earned no goals las year, but in Worlds he won a gold and at World Juniors he won a silver, both with team Canada.  His confidence is boosted and that's undeniably clear in his play.  Kuraly is Kuraly, he's a great Center and I hate to put him on the 4th Line, but I can't put three Centerman together, so ugh!  Now, Olivier might be a surprise to some, so I'll explain my reasoning here for placing him instead of Robinson or Foudy.  Oliver was signed, as I understand it, because he could score but also stand up to opponent players causing trouble (AKA fights).  We're facing the Hurricanes, who beat us in preseason, in their home arena, 8-1.  Yes, it was preseason, and we didn't send most of our main roster, however, they were about even with experience and youth players too.  Personally, knowing how high scoring and physical the Hurricanes can be, I'd put him in and see how he does. I do feel that this spot could be switched, but right now as I see our opponents, this is my choice for this and all the other offensive lines.                  

Now, on to the defense!  Last year we had some serious problems in this area.  Yes, our offense scored the most points in franchise history.  However, our defense also let the most pucks into the net in history.  A little good and a little bad.  Again, as many of you know, I like to find the good in everything.  Well, this season I'm hoping to just find the good in our defense, period!  Of course, we'll have Werenski back.  Faithful #8 is my first choice on that top line.  With him, I'd enjoy seeing Gudbranson.  I know that's two heavy hitters together, but playing the Hurricanes, Lightning and then the Blues to open the season, I think it could be a good choice.  

Line 2, Peeke all the way.  If I did a best improved on offense: Chinakhov.  Best improved on defense:  Peeke for sure.  He had 4 assists, in Nationwide Arena, against the Blues.  Even if they had travel issues, enough said.  I paired him with tried-and-true Gavrikhov.  Not only can he defend, but he can also score too, so these two seem like a naturally good fit.    

Line 3 starts with Boqvist.  He didn't make much noise during the preseason, but he did make it when it counted.  When the Blue Jackets traveled to D.C. and faced the Capitals, he had 2 primary assists that night.  I paired him with Blankenburg because he's incredibly fast and his desire to block pucks or do anything else needed to aid the team in winning, is exactly what you want in a player on said team.  He's also a solid scorer when able.  

Now, Robinson, Foudy and Bean, whom I chose to not put in the direct lineup, have their credits of their own.  If they didn't, they'd be in the AHL and not the NHL.  Believe me, I don't envy Coach Larson at all, this list took me a half hour and even now I'm not sold every choice I made.  The beauty of that is how this season's starts, likely won't be how it ends, regarding line configurations.  We didn't lose a tone of players this off season, but we gained many, which will take some transitional experimentation.  My best advice as this is worked out:  Sit back, relax and enjoy the games, because once this team is locked in, I feel that we as a 5th Line will be too, this season more than ever before.  Hockey is finally back 5th Line, get your gear and let's go!  

Many more updates to come tomorrow as we open the 2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL Season, so watch my social media pages!

Go CBJ!         




          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One