2022-23 Game 1: Columbus Blue Jackets @ Carolina Hurricanes Game Recap

This night started with a fire, and that's even with the cannon safely at home in Nationwide Arena!  Starting Goaltender Elvis Merzlikins is ill, and I wish him a speedy recovery.  In the meantime, we got to see a young Daniil Tarasov get the 2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets Season Start.  With Jet Greaves on Emergency Recall from the Cleveland Monsters (in exchange for Kent Johnson to keep with NHL's rule of 23) they would step on the ice with the Caralina Hurricanes, ready for the former 2022 Stanley Cup Playoff Team's challenge. 

Goal 1 would go into the books as one scored by a very familiar Blue Jacket name:  Patrik Laine. It would come from Zach Werenski alone, just 0:11 into Period 2.  (Yes, period 1 would end with an even 0-0 draw, and it was incredibly fun to hear the two teams compete so evenly and well during this time!)  After this, tragedy would strike.  Also, I know that's a strong word, but from what I heard about the Laine injury...it seems eerily acceptable. Unfortunately, I was eating dinner when this happened, so my understanding is from my best friend and what bits I've heard from fans on social media.  As I know, Laine was checked into the boards by a Hurricanes player and his arm was extended, causing "instant pain" as my friend said.  A very cringe worthy moment, and thus it should come as no surprise he didn't return to this game and was ruled out indefinitely tonight, before this period even ended.  Also unfortunate, the Hurricanes would have 2 goals in this period, one from S. Jarvis (5:13) and another from B. Skjei (18:30).  Cole Sillinger (who hustled all night) had a goal between these two Hurricanes goals, but it was challenged and ruled Offsides. So, Period 2 would end without Laine, a goal taken away from the Blue Jackets and a 2-1 Hurricanes lead.  

Period 3 would see the Hurricanes add another 2 goals: M. Necas (6:29) and then A. Svechniko (9:18).  The final would be 4-1 Hurricanes win.  

I'll start by reminding you all that this is Game 1 out of 82 this season.  Still, it does kind of sting like Stingers...well stinger.  However, it is rough to open a season on the road, as the Lightning who lost 3-1 in New York at the Rangers last night!  (Great game, yes, I'm that into hockey now 5th Line, but hey if I can watch Panarin I'm going to.)  Now, back to our guys here and now.  It was a tall order and honest, it will be even more so as the Lighting come to Nationwide Arena for Friday's Home Opener, especially if someone can't play.  (You know to whom I'm referring, and I am not jinxing it.)  Something great to help us, which also helped New York a lot last night and helped the Hurricanes tonight, their home fans.  Never underestimate a fan base, especially ours! 

Some great things did some from tonight.  As I said above, Sillinger had some incredible saves.  The Hurricanes had 43 shots by the time all was said and done, so him turning away 39 on a night he was meant to be a backup will the morning of, he did quite well.  Everyone had chances to score, the defense did good, it's just a matter of finding where you need to be on the ice, which will happen.  Again, Game 1 5th Line.  

Game 2 will be played here Friday Night, as we welcome the last team to play against us there back again, the Tampa Bay Lighning.  As I said, they lost 3-1 last night on the road, in New York, at the Rangers.  I'm sure they will put up a fight for this reason, but if you remember we handled them quite well in Nationwide arena at the home closer, winning 5-2.  To make you all feel a bit better, remember Laine was out with an injury when that happened.  This team can win without him if needed but losing him in Game 1 and losing a goal to Offsides...it's hard to bounce back from, no doubt.  It happened though, they lost, now time to leave it in the past and move on.  In this sport you have to learn fast and apply it.  No time to dwell, only time to accept, learn (as I said) and skate forward not backward.  

When there is word on Patrik Laine, wishing him the absolute best, if I'm not at my computer I will post on social media and update the blog the moment I'm able.  I appreciate you all reading and looking to me for information and input 5th Line, I don't take it lightly and am just as invested in this game and injuries to our guys as you.  I'll also keep an eye out for a Merzlikins update, wishing him the best too.  Teams have injuries and illness, let's hope we're getting this out of the way and it's not an issue going forward.   

Go CBJ!   


    









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One