Columbus Blue Jackets and General Manager, Jarmo Kekalainen, Part Ways

This story broke this morning, but I wanted to wait for other shakeups among the Columbus Blue Jackets Franchise. Also, I'm shocked that this decision was made just weeks before the NHL Trade Deadline on March 8th, 2024. That is a huge day for any NHL GM, and for the first time since 2013, Jarmo Kekalainen will not be with the Blue Jackets during it. 

I understand that many fans have wanted this decision for months, some years. I know there has been a lot of transition with coaching, starting with Brad Larson, then to Mike Babcock (who resigned months later over controversy), and now Pascal Vincent. That's a lot in three seasons. This rebuild was expected to be long, but going into a third losing season in a row is different than the desired outcome. Fans alike want to see progress, even amid a rebuild, and that's fair. 

Still, I can't help but highlight the players Jarmo Kekalinen has gotten us since I started covering the team for Skullking Sports in May 2020. Men currently playing for us include Yegor Chinakov, Cole Sillinger, Kent Johnson, David Jiricek, and Adam Fantilli. Not to mention players who are in the pipeline, like Sanislav Svozil, James Malatesta, Ben Boyd, Martin Rysavy, Denton Mateychuck, Luca Del Bel Belluz, Gavin Brindley, William Whitelaw, among others. He secured Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau to come here from the Calgary Flames; 31 other teams to pick from, and we got him. We all saw the video of Jarmo and Johnny talking on the phone, and it still sends chills down my spine. The man loved to flip a player or a draft pick, and not all of them worked out, but the man has one of the best poker faces I've ever seen. He didn't always get it right, but he worked his tail off for this franchise, and I give him props for that. 

Alas, I understand the need for a fresh perspective to further this team, but this still stings a bit. Since I started writing, it's been Jarmo, and it's sad to see him go. That said, I want to see who I'll be following now with John Davidson, our President of Hockey Operations, as he maintains the post of General Manager until the right fit can be found. (I sincerely hope the guy is hired when I have the day off so I can write.)  Good luck to you, Jarmo Kekalinen; this isn't the last we've seen of you in the NHL. And, to whoever replaces you, I hope they see how big shoes they must fill. It is intimidating to take over a franchise at the bottom of their division and the entire NHL. Still, if we find someone ready to take on that challenge with both eyes set on the future, this team could be something great sooner rather than later. Just remember, when that happens, those young guys I listed above were the work of Jarmo Kekalinen, and he had a part in it, too. 

Go CBJ! 





      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One