The Addition of Dan Waddell to the Columbus Blue Jackets and My Thoughts Moving Forward

If you're reading this now and are a loyal fan of mine, thank you for your patience. What I write today is independent of the influence of others. I have avoided reading any articles about the Columbus Blue Jackets hiring of Dan Waddell and only listened to his words so I could give my thoughts without plagiarizing another journalist or blogger. This news also broke while I was working, so that's why you'll see I reposted Columbus Blue Jackets official posts for you all to read but not myself. So, without further delay, here are my thoughts on the organization's hiring of Dan Waddell. 

First and foremost, the accomplishments this man has alone speak volumes. How he built and transformed the Carolina Hurricanes into a team with multiple NHL Playoff appearances and Division Championships is enough to sell his worth. That said, his thought process on Columbus is something I'm encouraged by as well. He stated that he would work within the organization and get to know it before making any changes, proving his success in Carolina wasn't a happy accident. Not only does he appear bright in what it takes to be a General Manager in the NHL, but he also wants to be here. The excitement he showed in his press conference yesterday should excite the 5th Line because he took this chance to better this organization and make it what we all want and know it can be. I like how direct he is, but also how calm he is. This man appears ready to have a long and decorated career in Columbus. I cannot wait to watch it. 

Okay, this is the part of this blog where I will do something I rarely do; give my opinion on what I'd do if I were anyone in this organization. Today, it's Dan Waddell. If you disagree with me, that's fine; just don't be a jerk. First, a coaching change is expected as a new General Manager steps into his role, but it only sometimes happens. I will not sugarcoat this, last season, Pascal Vincent made some comments that I disagreed with. I wish he was more animated and excited on the bench, especially when the Blue Jackets are scoring/winning. That said, Vincent inherited this team unexpectedly after the head coach hired stepped down before coaching a single game. (We all know what happened.) This did occur right before the start of camp and the season. This may be a learning cure for being a first-time NHL Head Coach. Therefore, I'd like to keep Vincent in his current role for another season. I know some may not agree with this, but it's fair to let him have one entire offseason and season before we judge his ability to coach, and he still needs to get that. Remember, this is my thought, and a lot happens behind closed doors that we don't know. So, we'll have to wait and watch how staff may or may not change in the coming months.   

Another main focus will be the First Round, Fourth Pick, and others in Las Vegas at the 2024 NHL Draft. I mentioned this in my last blog when the 2024 Draft Lottery took place, but I'd highly consider flipping this pick if I were Dan Waddell. Why? We have a lot of stellar young players in the pipeline and on the Columbus Blue Jackets roster as I type this now. Case in point, the Cleveland Monsters are starting their play tonight for the AHL Division title tonight. Further, Brendan Gaunce joined them today after the waiver process, and Adam Fantilli wasn't eligible to play. Our talent to come is fine for me, and thus, I'd flip this high pick and see if I could bring in an experienced player. This way, we have another leader in the locker room. Again, this is what I'd do, especially when we'll have other picks in later rounds to still pick up talented players. 

The final hurdle to jump before the 2024-25 Columbus Blue Jackets season begins is 2024 Free Agency. I've seen a lot of chatter about one particular player, so that's who I'll focus on. Elvis Merzlikins signed to be the Columbus Blue Jackets' primary goaltender. His current contract extends him through the 2026-27 NHL Season and is a 5.6 Million cap hit for the team. The debate on moving him is heated online, and I'm about to pour gasoline on it by saying this: I would absolutely not move him this offseason. Why? Many may not have seen this, but in the offseason, when the team lost promising goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks, and after Elvis Merzlikins signed his new contract, he made a promise. He said he'd win the Vezina Trophy for his 'brother' Kivlenieks that upcoming season. As many know, the two Latvian Goaltenders were incredibly close, like brothers, both on and off the ice. I wonder to this day if not winning a Vezina Trophy yet for Kivleniekes bothers Elvis Merzlikins to the point he pushes himself too hard when playing. Of course, this is only my theory; no one knows Elvis Merzlikins's train of thought beyond himself. This would make sense, especially after mentioning that he needed to play his game after a great win last season. Many expect him to be a top goaltender for what we pay him. I want him to be that player again, and it's apparent he wants the same. That said, injuries have been abundant for him these past few seasons; we cannot blame that on him. Personally, I'd like to see Elvis Merzlikins play one more season here in Columbus with a new General Manager and an established head coach, whomever that may be. What comes out if it might surprise us all. My worst fear regarding trading Elvis Merzlikins is simple; I do not want to watch him go play somewhere else before an established team and prove we let another great goalie leave Columbus. Another goaltender was here not long ago, and he won two Vezina Trophies while in Columbus. He wanted to be paid his worth, and we let him walk. To those annoyed with and want Elvis Merzlikins gone, I ask you: Is Sergei Bobrovsky worth it now as he plays in his second NHL Division Final in as many seasons? I know he won two Vezina's, and Elvis Merzlikins hasn't won one yet, but even the most critical Elvis Merzlikins fan can surely step back a moment and see my point; I hope We've let a lot of good players go, and I for one and sick of finding excitement in watching former players names be added onto Lord Stanley's Cup while wearing another teams jersey. (Side note: Go kick some puck tonight, Bob!)

In the end, we know that Dan Waddell is going to take his time and be thoughtful as he steps into his new role as the Columbus Blue Jackets General Manager, and I applaud him for this. Right now, it will be another sit-and-wait situation, but I look forward to seeing what moves he makes, if any, in the organization's staff and roster. More than anything, I'm relieved that the organization gave our new General Manager time to settle in before the 2024 NHL Draft. It appears to me that we're heading in the right direction to create a solid foundation again, one we can build upon for seasons to come. 

Go CBJ, and welcome to Columbus, Dan Waddell. 






    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Ranger's Elimination From the 2024 NHL Playoffs Means for the Columbus Blue Jackets Acquired 2026 Draft Pick

Brenden Gaunce, Nick Blankenburg, and Jake Bean Sign NHL Deals Away From Columbus Blue Jackets

Rest in Peace, Johnny and Mathew Gaudreau- Part One