Silly's Staying in Columbus!
I know this is a little late, but news broke yesterday while I was at work that Cole Sillinger agreed to a new contract with our Columbus Blue Jackets! It's great seeing another contract get done before arbitration could happen. This contract covers his next three seasons in the NHL, through the franchise's 2028-29 season, and sees him make roughly $4.625 million each season. I've seen some question paying #4 this much. In my mind, this is why he's worth keeping and paying.
Last season, he missed only one game, posting an 8-25-33 in 81 games. He's shown consistency, averaging 31-33 points in four of his five seasons with Columbus. The only season he didn't was 2022-23, when he dealt with a rough injury that cost him about 1/4th of the regular season. That season, he finished with a 3-8-11 in 64 games. This leads into my next point, showcasing his resilience and handling of adversity, because he returned in 2023-24 with 77 games played and a point breakdown of 13-19-32. That's what you want to see in a young player: a hunger to fight back when a season doesn't go your way. High-scoring players are great; they make the game exciting, but it's players like Sillinger who fly under the radar and get you those unexpected and vital goals at the right time that matter just as much. I tell folks all the time, stats are cool, but they tell only part of a player's story. The truth is, regarding Cole Sillinger, he can score, and he's constantly in the play. He's an unselfish player, and I still want him here in Columbus, without question. I'm glad his deal got done.
Now, we can focus on our final loss end to tie up: Adam Fantilli.
Congratulations, Silly!
Comments
Post a Comment