Cam Talbot Joins Our Columbus Blue Jackets

Yesterday we got an injury update and signing that altered how we thought the Columbus Blue Jackets would look when they took the ice to start the 20226-27 NHL Season. First, we knew that goaltender Elvis Merzlikins had successful shoulder surgery a few weeks ago, but no further details were given. Shortly after failing his physical yesterday, Don Waddell was quoted as saying we wouldn't be seeing our #90 ''in the near future," by Aaron Portszline of the Atlantic. (This was in a post on X 11 hours ago as I type this, on his personal page via @Aportzline.) Shortly after this, the Blue Jackets announced on social media that they had signed 39-year-old goaltender Cam Talbot, which reinforces our GM's comments regarding Elvis Merzlikins injury timeline, or lack thereof.

Cam Talbot, in my opinion, was the best option regarding goaltenders looking for a team at the current time. He has immense experience in the league; this will be his fourteenth season. His former teams include the New York Rangers, Edmonton Oilers, Philadelphia Flyers, Calgary Flames, Minnesota Wild, Ottawa Senators, Las Angalas Kings, and he spent the last two seasons in Detroit with the Red Wings. Last season, with the Red Wings, he appeared in 34 games and started 25 of them. His record in those 25 games was 12-9-6. His goals-against average was 3.19, and his save percentage was .883. Respectfully, given the sample size and how the Red Wings played last season, I would consider those good numbers, especially for a 39-year-old goaltender! I also enjoy the idea that he can provide Jet Greaves with some mentorship while Elvis Merzlikins is away due to injury, as well as serve as a backup. (In theory, the job of Goaltender 1 will go to the best goaltender in training camp, but I'd be shocked if that wasn't Jet Greaves after he signed that new contract this summer. I have no doubt he's ready to go!) 

So, yesterday was a big day for Columbus Blue Jackets' goaltender updates. It was some unfortunate news regarding Elvis, but I'm happy we found a goaltender to fill the role so quickly, for however long it's needed. Cam signed a single-year contract for $950,000. I want to welcome Cam to Columbus and wish him the best of luck on the ice this season. I also wish Elvis a speedy recovery. 

Welcome, #39!  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is There a Team Altering Trade Forming in Columbus? 3/3/2026

If I Were in Charge of the Columbus Blue Jackets: My Captain and Alternates...(8/8/26)

2025-2026 End of Season Wrap-up: Columbus Blue Jackets