Columbus Blue Jackets Make HUGE Trade With Toronto Maple Leafs Before Deadline: 9/28/26

I had a feeling about today, mainly because the trade deadline ahead of the 2026-27 NHL Season was at 5:00 p.m., but also because I worked today. Let me tell you, our Columbus Blue Jackets love to make moves when I'm not home, and boy, oh boy, was this a move! I wish Kirill Marchenko, Miles Wood, and Elvis Merzlikins the best of luck in Toronto as they join the Maple Leafs. I also welcome Matthew Knies, Steven Lorentz, and Emil Andrae to Columbus as they join our Blue Jackets! (It's also worth noting that, in this deal, we pay 18% of Elvis Merzlikins' remaining one-year contract.) We could also get the Maple Leafs' 2nd-round draft pick in 2027, but it's conditional.) That said, let's talk about our new Blue Jackets!

Matthew Kies is a 23-year-old Left Wing. This will be his fifth season in the NHL. Last season, in 79 games, he had 23 goals and 43 assists for 66 points. The season prior, he appeared in 76 games and had 29 goals and 29 assists for 58 points. He's consistent as a playmaker and is young. I love that he'll be joining our Blue Jackets, and I'm buzzing about the idea of seeing Adam Fantilli and him on the ice together! 

Steven Lorentz is a Center, age 30. He's appeared in 381 NHL games and scored 80 total points, consisting of 36 goals and 44 assists. He also has experience in the playoffs, appearing in 45 games with 2 goals and 6 assists for 8 points. Not a bad add-on to this trade; we can always use an extra centerman. 

Lastly, Emil Andrae, a 24-year-old defenseman. With Dante Fabbrow missing at least the first month of the season, I'm glad we got Emil. This will be his fourth season in the NHL, and he's only ever taken the ice for the Philadelphia Flyers. He never once skated an NHL regular-season game for the Maple Leafs before this trade. In his first season, 2023-24, he appeared in just 4 games and had no points. In the 2024-25 season, he appeared in 42 games and had a goal and 6 assists for 7 points. Last season, he appeared in 61 games and had 2 goals and 11 assists for 13 points. Season after season, he's improved, and I can't wait to see how he takes it to the next level in Columbus under Rick Bowness' leadership.  

Not long after the announcement, news came that Matthew Knies will wear number 89, while Emil Andrae will wear number 36, and Steven Lorentz will wear number 18. I wish all three a productive season, and welcome them each to their new home in Columbus. I can't wait to see how they fit into our Blue Jackets and elevate this team, as Matthew Knies and Emil Andrae will start in the home opener and first game of the season on October 1st! 

As for our departing Blue Jackets, Miles Wood is a solid player, and I can't wait to see how he does in Toronto. I'm excited to see Elvis Merzlikins move on from the sorrow of Columbus, after losing two dear friends here in his time: Mattis Kivlenieks and Johnny Gaudreau. I'm also excited to see him rejoin Sergei Bobrovsky! I know several fans are sad to see Kirill Marchenko leave, as he was our highest goal scorer last season, but it was clear he didn't want to be here after his showing in the preseason. I hope he finds what he needs in Toronto. 

Our Blue Jackets had practice today and will have practice tomorrow and Wednesday as they prepare to kick off their first 84-game regular season in franchise history Thursday night. We welcome the Buffalo Sabers to town. The puck will drop at 7:00 p.m.! 

Welcome, #89,#36, and #18!

GO CBJ!   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is There a Team Altering Trade Forming in Columbus? 3/3/2026

If I Were in Charge of the Columbus Blue Jackets: My Captain and Alternates...(8/8/26)

2025-2026 End of Season Wrap-up: Columbus Blue Jackets